Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Are you afflicted by CRAP? Check urgently!

Act 1:  Scene 1:  A home in South Africa

Child:     Dad, what am I?
You:      You are a Black my child. 
Child:     But Dad, black is the colour of the ink on this page. I am not black?! 
You:      You must understand. This is the way it is. This is South Africa.
Child:     And my best friend, Patricia whose parents come from Cape Town?
You:      She is Coloured, my child.
Child:     But Dad, coloured is like those coloured crayons Mum got me from CNA. Patricia is brown, not  coloured.
You:      Look here, don't start being argumentative, she is Coloured!
Child:     And my other friend, Helen, who speaks Afrikaans all the time?
You:      She is White. Can't you see that she is white.? What is wrong with you, all these silly questions?
Child:     Dad, white is the colour of this paper. Helen is not white. She is very light brown, and I really like her blue eyes. 
You:      Listen child, if you must be such a clever boots, Black, White and Coloured are not really real. They are social constructs that we have from history. You need to learn this.
Child:    Aah, I see. I am "social construct black Angie". My friend is "social construct coloured Patricia" and ......
You:    Listen here child, don't try and be smart with me. I am your father. If you must know, this is all because of what the Whites did, long ago in America and also here in South Africa. Have you not been taught about apartheid ... or were you busy arguing with your teacher instead of listening? 
Child:     But Dad, are the Whites still in charge?   Are we not in charge now? Our teacher said that Nelson Mandela and the ANC defeated apartheid and EVERYONE was freed in 1994?
You:      No... I mean Yes ... we are now in charge  ... and we are now a rainbow nation and ... er ... proudly South African..
Child:     But dad, there is no black in the colours of the rainbow. 
You:      Yes, yes, yes ... but look here, that is the way it is.
Child:     Our teacher also taught us that a person born in Europe is a European. Helen and I were both born in the same hospital. Are we not Africans?
You:      Yes ... I mean No ... she is White .. you are Black .... !!! 
Child:     ....  and Patricia is Coloured. But her brother had to put that he was Black when he was applying for a job Why?
You:      er ... er ... Yes well ... it is so under Affirmative Action ....
Child:      So he is "affirmative action Black Jacob". What about if he does not get the job?.  Does he stay as a Coloured?
You:      No ... no ... No ... are you trying to be smart with me child? 
Child:     And we learnt that the KhoiSan were the original inhabitants of this land ... that their land was taken from them ... and has not been given back ....  and that they are not the same as us ... they are ...
You:       Look child, the KhoiSan are Africans ... they are like us ... they are born here ... in Africa .... 
Child:     But they are the same colour as Patricia, who was also born here in Groot Schuur, where Dr Barnard did the first heart transplant on .... 
You:      Huh ... they are  Khoi and San. Don't worry about them child.
Child:     Patricia says the Coloured people are from the KhoisSan. Many of them look like the KhoiSan.
You:      Shut up ...
Child:     Patricia says that her uncle from Zimbabwe says that when a person would speak like you in their pub, they would all start singing their version of "Who Is Fooling Who" by our Ray Phiri and Stimela.
You:      Don’t start reminding me of these Zimbabweans ... they have spoilt their own country and are full up doing crime in ours ... ... 
Child:    But Dad, I thought you said we are all Africans?  Were you also burning the Zimbabweans and Mozambicans in the xenophobic violence?
You:      No, I did not ... I did not ....
Child:    But you were not angry about this.  You were very angry about people who were happy. You were shouting "To hell with these gay people ... to hell with them ...
You:      Look here child .... I do not want to hear about gay people ...  and lesbians .... 
Child:     Dad, do you know that you are full of crap?  * 
[*Editors note -- the father does suffer from CRAPChronically Racist And Prejudiced.]  
You are. Really!  But you are in good company. 50 million South Africans accept, connive or collude at this nonsense. We have colour coded the nation.  We define ourselves as colours; not as human beings. The child is right. We are all full of crap.  What proves it beyond all doubt is that we even have  "BEE accreditation"  in terms of which entities are paid to certify the degree of blackness we have achieved. 
Now if we cannot get over the past, and want to wallow in it,  let us not visit its sins on our children.  Let us not force fatuous lies on these little ones.  Life is difficult enough without the child having to contend with "convenient untruths" just because we want to satisfy our hang-ups. Let us at least start dealing in truth, for a change. 
The first one is that any competent psychologist, criminologist or social scientist will confirm to you that a child easily sees what is true and what is false.  The child knows when you are lying.  
Secondly, self image is critical to the proper development of a child.  Confusion in this respect often predisposes the child to deviance, even criminal conduct in later life.  It is critically important that a child accepts who and what he/she is and is nurtured to be proud of this.
It may be that the planet's greatest entertainer, Michael Jackson, was conflicted in this way. "The answer lies within Michael himself. No matter how much another person loves you, if you do not love yourself, it won't make a difference. I believe that Michael Jackson did not love himself".
So let us stop playing very dangerous games with our children.  The fact that the World is so messed up may well have much to do with generations of people having grown up fatally conflicted in the psyches. 
Stop forcing lies on our children.  Start by giving your child a small, simply drafted, booklet titled "The Universal Declaration of Human Rights".  It has no colour coding of human beings.
It was signed off at the United Nations as long ago as 1947, for God's sake.  
It is long overdue that we try to start subscribing to its simple tenets.   
If we do this our children will work things out for themselves, in accordance with truth, not lies.  They wiil reject convenient lies and strike out for a better World ... as is happening in the Arab Spring. 

PS: -  The child, who has been reading George Orwell, has since drawn the farm post on the right.
This an EXACT reverse image of the racist apartheid model. It is tragic that the heroic struggle that so many gave their lives in has culminated in this grotesque, obscene, vomitus reality ,,, and a whole nation seems blind to it.

2 comments:

vieome said...

I am a Coloured African

I owe my being to the union of the black lady Eve and the White Gentle(debatable)men Adam,

who came together in joyful and painful union.

My hybrib body with its traces of European DNA has bathed in the blood soaked red soil of my

mothers land, with delight knowing that my creator moulded me, with a badge that says African.

The fragrances of life have never been pleasant, the sweat of my fathers hit and home run, the

smell of blood from my mothers wounded heart. The smell of ink from the Leaders pen, saying

loudly, "this child shall be I.D 00(ZERO ZERO) not one of us. "

The dramatic twists and turns of my ironic fate filled colored african life, 1978 dreaming of the Electrical Artisan I was destined to become and then 1987 finding out that the color of my skin changed that destiny for me. I have always conceded that all men are equal ever since I was a child and met a Lady called Chiganange, on the bank of the save river in 1979, she was fighting for freedom, I was fishing for bream. " hey small jimmy, what does PF mean?" she asked me. " I dont know, but dont shout, you chasing the fish." I replied . She laughed and said " No Jimmy it is Patriotic Front. Equality for Everyone. " " Do you want a fish?" I responded.

Little did I know that she was coming to take my equality away from me.

Judge Chris N Greenland said...

So eloquently put with so much pathos -- as it is for nearly all Coloured folk.
This is why the title of my book is "The Other - ....."
Follow this link --- http://theother.orgfree.com/

Free counters!